Sunday 2 June 2013

Still fettling ...

With just over a week to go I find myself still fettling with the bike and worrying about the rear wheel.  

From previous posts you'll know that I swapped out the carbon seat post for a spare aluminium one I had.  Well, after several test rides it became clear that the one bolt clamp was not capable of holding my saddle in place and it kept moving during rides.

So, one Wiggle order later and I have a new alu seat post with a 2 bolt clamp.  I fitted this to the bike yesterday and attached the saddlebag mount.  It gripped the saddle solidly and, using a slightly higher than usual saddle height I managed to get enough clearance to mount the bag.

This week-end was also the time to put on the 25mm tyres and give the bike a good clean and check.

So here it is in (hopefully) its final configuration just before today's test ride.

The test ride went pretty well, I'm still amazed how much speed I can hold even with the loaded saddle bag attached.  There were some issues though.

Firstly the seat post gradually worked itself lower and by the time I noticed, the bag was rubbing on the back wheel as it has done previously.  It took several re-adjustments and extra tightening during the ride to get the post to remain at the right height - which wasn't the height it started the ride.  This was because the higher than normal saddle was causing pain in my left knee.  

Thankfully the new seat post has some numbered and lined markings that allowed me to gradually adjust to a comfortable measured height and allow the bag to be attached/removed without having to move the seat post.  The amount I had to tighten the seat post clamp to stop it slipping was a bit worrying though and the slippage has already left some gouge marks in the post but they only look superficial.

The 25mm tyres added a bit of extra comfort, rolled well and didn't feel any slower.  They also seemed to provide a bit more feedback from the road and more assured handling.

Only 10 days to go now so I really do need to stop fettling and get everything to remain in place.  One final thing I'm still debating is whether to order some new wheels this week or at least a new rear one.  If there's one reason not to do this it's because I probably won't have the time to test them on a long ride.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment